~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I didn't know I was a movement conservative

... until the day I realized President Bush wasn't one. I believe it was a Wednesday... at about 5:53PM... Things may have changed. Finally, Bush is defending his strengths. Namely the Bush Doctrine and national security in general. This is from Monday's presidential speech at Elmendorf Air Force Base:

"Reasonable people can disagree about the conduct of the war, but it is irresponsible for Democrats to now claim that we misled them and the American people. Leaders in my administration and members of the United States Congress from both political parties looked at the same intelligence on Iraq, and reached the same conclusion: Saddam Hussein was a threat.

[...]

Some of our elected leaders have opposed this war all along. I disagreed with them, but I respect their willingness to take a consistent stand. Yet some Democrats who voted to authorize the use of force are now rewriting the past. They are playing politics with this issue and they are sending mixed signals to our troops and the enemy. And that's irresponsible."


Why did he let his opponents define the terms of the debate for so long with no input of his own? I used to admire Bush's cavilier attitude towards the press. Now? I think his detractors have been counting on that attitude in order to campaign against him.

Any Democrat taking heat for voting yes on Iraq, who wants to now change that vote, has only two options at this late date: Admit fault, or place blame. Placing blame absolves him/her of advancing any meaningful alternative course of action, at least in the short term. The attraction is obvious. But also evident is the dishonest nature of placing blame. Some Dems have decided to risk the easy out, and finally, finally Bush has called their bluff.

Bravo, Mr. President. Keep it up. Better late than never, I say.

<< Home |