~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gallup: Support for Mary-Jane Tops 50 %

I've been saying for 20 years that we're ten years away from decriminalization. Perhaps now I finally get to be right? AllahPundit's theory:

"It may be that as people warm up to the glorious libertarian principle of “I don’t like it, but if it doesn’t affect me, whatever” vis-a-vis gay marriage, it’s informing their thinking on unrelated issues like marijuana too. But I don’t know; my own views might be coloring that. What am I missing here?"
I think a resurgence of libertarianism is indeed responsible for this Gallup poll result. For the record, I personally don't use marijuana, it's just that I don't have a problem with those who do. So, like AllahPundit, my own views might be skewing my judgment here. My major vices are TV, movies, and the Olympic Summer Games.

UPDATE: Ilya Somin wrote about the poll yesterday saying:

"If we get to the point where 60 or 70% of the public supports legalization, I predict that the status quo is likely to become politically untenable even in spite of interest group lobbying. And, if present trends continue, we might well reach 60% support within the next 10–12 years."


So I'm not the only one throwing around ten year predictions, I just don't know if we're right on the math.

<< Home |