~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, January 11, 2009

P.J. O'Rourke on "the failed Obama Presidency"

From The Weekly Standard:

In the language of politics there is only one translation for the phrase "hope and change," to wit, "big, fat government." Mr. Obama, if you're going to give us big, fat government, you need to be a big, fat politician. You need to be a Tip O'Neill, a Teddy Kennedy, a Richard Daley, a Bill Clinton at the very least. And you don't seem to be a big, fat anything--literally or otherwise. You seem to be .  .  . smart and organized. Like Jimmy Carter!

So we may speak without compunction of the failed Obama presidency.


Clever stuff! He's just riffing, of course. Playing with words in the way that only comes natural to a select group of talented commentators. But the words, "It's only funny because it's true," are cold consolation to a lover of limited government such as myself.

Early on in that seemingly interminable campaign of '07/'08, Obama declared war on cynicism. But P.J. is out to prove that the cynics have the upper hand in that battle.

For myself, I wish our new President well. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude before launching my own critique, round about Jan 21st. Then it's on like Donkey Kong.

<< Home |