~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Kadnine Focus: 2007

As I've noted before, the Kadnine blog is chiefly an exercise in charting my own progress as I research different political philosophies. In a broad sense, I know where I stand vis-a-vis the most controversial issues of the day, but there's still much ground to cover:

Free markets rock, "fair" markets aren't - See Friedman. Keep government interference to a bare minimum, and I'm a happy camper.

I'm moderately pro-choice, pro-stem cell research, pro-right to die - These are topics I want to explore further in 2007. I've been reluctant to dip toes into these waters due to the subjective nature of the debate. Nonetheless, they're important issues and I'm looking forward to learning more about them. If any reader would like to recommend source material, it would be much appreciated. Know any magazines, books, or websites that deal seriously with these (or related) matters?

I'm pro-division of government powers - Accusations abound regarding Judicial activism, Congressional usurpation of Executive authority, and Executive overreach. In general, I think these fights are a healthy thing in a democratic republic. But to my mind, accusations of Presidential "abuse of power" are much exaggerated in these post-Nixon days, whereas the other two charges are backed up by solid evidence.

I'm pro-tradition - Traditions need overturning every once and while (the tradition of slavery, for an obvious example) as our society evolves. But equally important is the Law of Unintended Consequences. We can't be "all revolution, all the time" or else we'll never be able to build upon our past successes. This may be the primary reason I consider myself a conservative.

I'm against multiculturalism - I'm very much in favor of pluralism, the melting pot model. One culture, many flavors intermingled. But the philosophy of multiculturalism, many cultures living side by side, is a recipe for disaster.

I don't see anything wrong with partisanship - It's how serious people (politicians are people too) advance serious goals. An America ruled by blue ribbon, feel good, do nothing, bipartisan committee isn't an country I want to live in.

I'm pessimistic, yet pro-victory on Iraq - I don't think I've covered any topic as extensively as this one. That's not likely to change, but after I update to the new Blogger software this week, I'll add tags to group the Iraq posts together for anyone who wants to discuss this topic in depth.

This isn't an exhaustive list and I'm open to suggestions. So, for anyone interested, break out your scalpel and we'll dissect these issues and more.

<< Home |