~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

How to lose elections

This opinion in the Washington Post has all the hallmarks of a classic blog rant: Condesencion and snark, self-righteousness, mischaracterization of the opposing view, unclear writing, a sudden switch from first person voice to second and back to first, the whole works. The only thing it's missing is incorrect spelling, but I guess that's why the WaPo has editors. (They're so much better than bloggers don'tcha know.)

I have a new theory about what's behind everything that's wrong with the Bush administration: manliness.


And I have a new theory on why America doesn't respect your opinions enough to elect the people you like into office. We might die.

What this country could use is a little less manliness -- and a little more of what [conservative professor Mansfield] would describe as womanly qualities: restraint, introspection, a desire for consensus, maybe even a touch of self-doubt.

But that's just my view.


Does this author really believe she can sell the voting public on a candidate who practices "self doubt"? America at war will continue to vote for the candidates they believe will work the hardest to protect them. Self-doubt isn't on the program, lady.

And I love the way she throws out "But that's just my view" there at the end. Well, whose view would it be if not hers? Is she taking special ownership of this view? Quick! Somebody get this woman a blog!

<< Home |