~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, October 03, 2005

Once again, Charlie Rose assembles a crack team of "diverse" experts

Okay, I generally enjoy Rose's show, if only because I appreciate the timeliness of his late night format. I find it cool that I can read an article in the NYT or Washington Post at noon, and then watch as that reporter expands his or her thoughts at 11:00 PM.

But what's really starting to grate on my skeptical-of-the-media sensibilities is the way Charlie's guests seem to pat themselves on the back for disagreeing when there's no real substantive difference in their opinions over the matter at hand.

Tonight? Case in point... writ large. An NPR legal corespondent who thinks Bush has alienated his base over this morning's nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, a Harvard law professor who all but goads Charlie into spitting the word "cronyism," and (wait for it) a conservative from the Cato Institute who disagrees with the President's choice. Whoa nelly. The "diversity" is astounding.

For myself? I know nothing about Harriet Miers, and have no idea whether this was a clever "stealth" nomination or another "cave-in" by the President designed to placate his political enemies who will never respect him in either case. But I know which view was unanimously espoused on the Rose program tonight! Sheesh.

<< Home |