~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Who you callin' a chickenhawk?

Greyhawk has an interesting theory concerning the mindset of those who like to throw around the term "chickenhawk."

They in turn project their motives onto others who support the war but aren't in uniformed service. See, you support the war but don't serve, therefore you are a coward. I, on the other hand, am not a coward because I am not serving because I don't support the war. I am clearly morally superior to you. [Emphasis original]
I'm one of those who enlisted for purely selfish reasons... I saw something in the eyes of the Marines that I'd met, and wanted that something for myself.

It turns out that something is the immense pride that comes from serving ones country. I may not have known exactly what I was getting into at the time I enlisted. I understand it now though. And no one will ever take that pride away from me.

The tactic of calling an American who supports war but doesn't join the military a "chickenhawk" is just that. A tactic. It's an attempt to end the debate early by shaming your opponent, not with superior ideas, but with cheap name-calling. To the countless Americans who supported me and my family during my tour in Iraq, I'd like to say thank you. You are most certainly NOT chickenhawks. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

<< Home |