~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, July 31, 2005

North Dakota Hospital Adds Meditation Room

The wife brought this article to my attention (Link to LA Times, it was in the C-J but not apparently online.)

On Thursday, the Roman Catholic hospital dedicated a $350,000 solarium and meditation room that may be used for such things as burning sage, cedar or sweetgrass, and for singing or drumming.

Tex Hall, chairman of North Dakota's Three Affiliated Tribes and president of the National Congress of American Indians, said smudging is allowed in Indian Health Service hospitals and clinics on reservations, but generally not outside the reservations.

"I think this is the first of its kind in a privately owned hospital," Hall said of the St. Alexius meditation room. "It's a long time coming and a tremendous step forward for native people. I think we'll see much better healing and recovery."


I don't yet know what I think about this development. Part of me is thrilled that the change was precipitated by a private organization searching out ways to better serve their customer base, rather than compulsory change dictated by some new law. (If the new meditaion room was the result of legislation, I'm certain the Times would have mentioned it. Praised it more likely.)

On the other hand there's this quote from spokeswoman for the American Hospital Association Amy Lee:

"Hospitals are definitely working toward accommodating growing multiculturalism," Lee said.


Now I can't live in all areas of the country at once, but I was under the impression that muliculturalism was on the decline in America, artificially being kept alive by liberal coastal enclaves and press coverage. Perhaps this is more of the same?

<< Home |