~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Live 8 Concert...um... Live!

It's being broadcast live on VH1, I hear.

If you're like me and splurge for the cable modem but not the cable TV then you can watch live here at AOL Music. (Surprisingly clear and smooth video feed, top-notch. Good audio, as well.)

I still don't know quite what to think about Live 8 and this new "We don't want your money, we want your voice" gimmick. (No value judgement there, some gimmicks can make a positive difference in the world, and if this one succeeds, then more power to it. But make no mistake, it's a gimmicky campaign.) But I will say that I'm convinced of Geldof's sincerity, his "encyclopedic knowledge of the situation in Africa," (thank you, TalkLeft for the audio of the blogger conference call) and boy, does he put on one hell of a show. It's massive! Concerts in nine cities worldwide, countless name-brand artists, and the professional skill and finesse that went into organizing this production is impressive.

For an Africa awareness campaign, the scale is unprescedented. Let's hope the "gimmick" of shifting focus away from temporary, band-aid solutions (like throwing money at poverty) to the harder task of brain storming long term, permanant solutions (like free trade) takes hold.

<< Home |