~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Reuters anti-american? Nahhhh...

I know I'm not the first to stumble across this today, but this has got to be the most blatant example of Al-Reuters-speak I've seen yet.

"AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A Dutch woman who swears by a daily helping of herring for a healthy life celebrated her 115th birthday on Wednesday as the oldest living person on record.

Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper, a former needlework teacher, was born in 1890, the year Sioux Indians were massacred by the U.S. military at the Battle of Wounded Knee."
Huh? Is that the most germaine factoid that they can gin up for a story on a Dutch centagenarian?

Google the results for "1890 Netherlands" and I bet you'll come up with something more suited. "Born the same year as the death of Dutch painter Vincent Van Gogh" perhaps?

UPDATE: Opinion Journal was thinking along the same lines as they point out that "The swipe at America seems especially gratuitous given that 1890 actually was a big year in the history of the Netherlands: the year Queen Wilhelmina, age 10, ascended to the Dutch throne."

<< Home |