~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, June 06, 2005

Iraqi stories from the inside

Author Michael Yon is in Iraq and is sending back amazing photos and even more amazing stories.

I was particularly impressed with his tutorial on how news of American casualties comes to us. It starts with gunfire, contact with the enemy, then a radio call, an emailed report which is forwarded to Baghdad, a government press release, ending up on your doorstep with a florid headline and sketchy details.
And now, for the rest of the story....

From a media executive's perspective, where the CFO can occupy the same tier on the organizational chart as the managing editor, the math is easy: send a dozen journalists to Iraq, or hire one cheaply to live in Baghdad. The media gets a bargain rate on instant credibility from their "embedded journalist in the heart of the Sunni Triangle," who spends a few minutes a day paraphrasing media releases, then heads downstairs for a beer at the hotel bar.
My hat is off, Mr. Yon. Real journalism takes work, dammit.

I don't know how I missed this guy before.



(Via: Hugh)

<< Home |