~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Hawaii

Michelle reports on more seccesionist talk.

I've been there. Remember that old Texas tourism slogan? "Texas... It like a whole 'nuther country." Well, Hawaii is living that dream.

I know, beause for two years I was stationed on the island of Oahu. During that time I was issued numerous official warnings not to visit the North Shore after dark as an identifiable Marine (Hali with a short haircut) for fear another service member would be murdered by gangs. (A rare occurence, but the fear was palpable.) I conducted a frantic four-week search for an apartment close to base that met a basic standard of cleanliness before my sweetheart flew out to marry me. I drove my car listening to nationally syndicated talk-radio that never mentioned Hawaii, but when I tuned into local radio, the US military were never mentioned except for issues surounding our impact on the local economy. My wife was told at work that because she got her college degree fom a mainland school, she was likely to be passed over for promotion, despite the fact that with her mid-western work ethics, she was a top earner for the company.

Eventually I fell into a "live and let live," trance-like mode. Many Hawaii residents I met were genuinely open and friendly, and I sought out their company. I learned to dismiss the passive agressive reactions of the pro-native faction. Every time a store clerk at the Alamoana Mall in Honolulu would roll her eyes and drop her smile when she realized I couldn't afford a $300 shirt ("Damn. He's not a rich tourist. He's one on those mainlanders staioned here.") I would thank her for her time and make a bee-line for the exit. It became routine. Once, after a year, dropping countless hundreds of dollars at a grocery up the street, the propriator threw in a free bag of boiled peanuts. I remember feeling elated that I'd finally been accepted as a "local."

How pathetic is that?

UPDATE: Wow! That was a bitter post. My main point is that Hawaii is filled with beautiful sights,



beautiful people,



and a culture that consistantly gives the impression to outsiders that they'd rather keep that beauty as a private paradise for themselves. Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. (Again.)

<< Home |