~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, January 07, 2005

Techno vs. Rap

Bill over at INDC Journal assaults our eardrums with this link to a supremely dumb euro-techno-weenie video. It's pretentiousness seems almost comepletely based on the artist's delight in mocking the viewer's desire to understand.

I've long had a hypothysis that compares techo music's popularity in Europe with hip-hop's popularity her in the U.S. Here, even marginally talented rap performer's are rewarded for substandard work because it seems they have "street cred." Do bad techno artists receive a pass in Europe as long as they seem "interestingly abstract and profound?"

It is my opinion that genre popularity makes it difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

<< Home |