~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I O 93 93/93 I O ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: LaGrange, Kentucky, United States

The opinions and interests of a husband, analyst and Iraq war veteran.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Who's Your Daddy?

Via Drudge
Reuters: 'Who's Your Daddy?' TV show sparks fury

Deborah Capone, a single mother with a 5-year-old adopted daughter, is behind an e-mail campaign that has generated more than 5,000 messages to Fox in a week asking for a meeting and for the show to be axed.

"By turning adoption reunions into a game show, 'Who's Your Daddy?' takes an intensely personal and complex situation ... and transforms it into a voyeuristic display," Capone said.
Jerry Springer in a primetime slot? Finally... nonstop schlock from daytime TV all the way through through the wee hours of Elimidate.

Reality programming, in which ordinary people put themselves in embarrassing or emotionally charged situations, has dominated American television for the past three years, producing efforts such as "Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire", "Survivor", "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy."
Um... okay. I confess to being as amused by reality TV as any other American. However I really don't know what to think when Reuters UK features outraged American prudes in an "Oddly Enough" article. ("I say, Hadley. Those yanks certainly do seem puritanical an awful lot of the time." "Quite so, Trevor.") I'd like to point out that Fox's OTHER "embarassing" reality show Nanny 911 is based on a British show. Enormously successful over there. Or so I'm told.

To all those in the UK who feel a need to laugh at America's viewing habits, I say, "I'll take a spot of milk in my tea, love. I'm settling in for a night of Junkyard Wars ."

<< Home |